Questions About Correctional Centers...I NEED These Answered...?
1. what are prisoners allowed to have? anything? nothing?
I'm not sho what Im allowed to send my friend in prison, if anything!
2. I know his letters are not read before they are sent to me, are mine befo he gets them?
3. is there a minimum age of who some one in prison can correspond wid? like if I had my girl write him?
4. any thing else you can tell me would be REALLY REALLY helpful, Im new to dis so please dont make fun, and I'm not giveing up my friendship wid him if I can help it, I wanna be there fo him...so please tell me all you know!
and one more thing, do prisoners keep colong? (perfume stuff-I know I spelled dat wrong) cuz I noticed some of his letters kinda smelled like it...thanks.
Sorry to hear about your friend. My husband went to prison before I knew him so I know a little bit about it. Every correctional center is different with different policies, however he was allowed to receive money and letters. Other things were obtained within the prison by working or earning etc...
It is very possible letters will be read or scanned at least to make sure there's no contraband etc...
I'm not sure if there is a policy on corresponding with certain ages or not.
Generally, in a correctional center the prisoners are segregated based on their offenses and current behavior like minimum supervision verses maximum or lock down.
My suggestion would be to contact the prison by phone or mail so you can know about their policies. He should also be allowed visits from time to time and also phone time. I really hope the best for you and your friend. Good luck to you.
1....Each prison have different rules, check and they will let you know..
2...Yes, all incoming and out going mail is read. The prison seals all outgoing mail after it read by staff.
3...Check with the rule list that you'll from the prison.
4...Each prison has a list of what can come in and not come into prison. This is very important for you to know. GET THE LIST OF CAN AND CAN NOT HAVE LISTS. On your next visit just ask and they will, be more than happy to give you one.
5...Understand this part very carefully.....Do be stupid and try to sneak something in. You will get caught and be arrested, Get the RULES from the prison and under stand them and follow them to the letter.
6...They don't plat games their.
This generally depends on the prison, but I can tell you what I was allowed, and what people did when I was in the can. I could have an 'account' with the prison 'store'. I could get food like candy, cookies, etc. Buy additional underwear and soap, etc. The money could be put in the account by anyone on the outside. No cigs, though. I was less than a year. Some of the guys with longer sentances could have butts, but I think that's a no-no now. They can have books, but the prison library usually has plenty. You can have certain 'comfort' items, like cards, (No gambling. If you get caught, they get confiscated.) certain articles of clothing, stationary, etc.
Your mail will be opened, but as far as I know, not read. The postal service has rules about that! It's only inspected for contraband items. My buddies usually had bad things to say about the 'screws' and none of it was ever deleted.
I wrote to anyone and everyone. (Helped pass the time.) No one ever asked me the age of the people I was writing. I sent a letter to my little cousin, who was 6, about the dangers of ending up in the can. He got it. Relatives have fulll mail privilage, regardless of age. (Except possibly for child molesters.)
Aftershave, etc. Is allowed. Don't get caught trying to drink it, or make booze from it. They frown on that. Letters are great. Letters with pictures are better. I had one buddy used to send me the Sunday comics every week. (Some news they won't let you see, so ask before you send some articles.) Money in the prison store account is always good. Food sucks, and candy and cookies, etc., help pass the time and keep morale up.
Contact in any way, shape or form is best. Prison is BORING! You can usually, but not in all places, get a list of items that you can send. There are also support groups among some of the prisoner wives who can give you tips. In you can visit in person, do so. Even if you can't have physical contact. A visit is a great boost. Good for you for sticking up for your friend! You will get rewards in Heaven!
Hope I answered all your questions. If not, drop me a line. I'm in the 'book'. (Click on my avatar.)
1.You can call the main number of the prison and it will usually list what they are allowed. Usually you can go inside put cash on their books so they can buy from comissary. Or they will provide a list of food, books, types of clothing you can send them. Not sure if cologne is allowed.
2. They will open your mail before giving it to him and may or may not read or skim through as a security caution. Usually really thick letters or ones with pictures are read or skimmed over.
3. No minimum age but be cautious if your under age (under 17) and he is not, you may want to re-think sending mail with pictures because especially no obsenity or nudity of any kind.
4. Try to call the prison number it will list what's allowed, visiting hours, visiting days, restrictions for sending packages, what to wear if visiting. Hope this helps not everybody that is in jail deserves to be forgotten people make mistakes just make sure your being there for someone who would do the same for you.